Serving size: 8
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 ½ hours
To assemble: Mix shredded white meat chicken and toss with tender avocado, mayonnaise, garlic, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and cilantro.
2 NatureRaised Farms® Thin Sliced Chicken Breasts
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup crumbled cotija cheese
1 avocado, diced
¼ cup sweet bell pepper
1 tablespoon diced jalapeno
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro
¼ cup diced red onion
2 cups + 2 tablespoons masa cornmeal
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
2 cups warm water
½ cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat an oven at 350°F.
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and place on a baking pan. Cook for 40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Cool the chicken and shred into pieces.
- While the chicken is cooking; combine 2 cups of cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and slowly pour in warm water, stirring the dry ingredients into the water. Cover the bowl and rest the dough rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Knead the buttermilk and butter into the dough. Only knead for a few minutes until the mixture is well incorporated. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a well-oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Form the dough into patties about 1-2 inches thick. Sear the dough to a golden brown on each side and place on a baking pan. Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the center of the dough is cooked throughout.
- Combine the mayonnaise, cheese, avocado, pepper, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro and onion in a mixing bowl with the shredded chicken. Knead in the remaining 2 tablespoons of cornmeal into the dough. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Split the corncakes in half. Divide the chicken salad in the corn cakes.